Theses for the awarding of doctoral degrees are contained in the libraries of Osaka University.
Their availability and use differ according to the accepted year. First, please find information in our institutional repository, Osaka University Knowledge Archive “OUKA”, where you can search by title and author name.
Theses Contained in OUKA
- Theses accepted in and after April 1957.
- Abstracts of all
- Full-texts with the following conditions.
- Theses accepted before April 1, 2013:
- Theses accepted in and after April 2013:
limited to those whose authors agreed to make them open.
made open in principle, except for those with unavoidable reasons for not doing so.
Theses that are Open Online
Links to the PDF files for the Abstract and Dissertation (full-text) are provided. They are available for online access and download.
Theses that are Not Open Online
Theses without a link to the full-text PDF (Dissertation) are not made open due to unavoidable reasons or lack of consent from the author. Access in OUKA is limited to the abstract. How to access the full-text differs according to when the degree was awarded.
[Theses accepted before April 1, 2013 without online access to full-text]
Contained in the library in printed form.
- Theses can be browsed in the library. Check the following table to see where the thesis is kept according to the field of study.
- Please print or write down information found in OUKA search result. This will be needed to request for the thesis at the library.
- Copying is permitted up to half of the thesis.
- To copy the whole thesis, you must have a written consent signed (or with a seal) by the author. Please note that the library will not be able to contact the author or provide contact information.
|Main Library||Arts, Human Sciences, Laws, Economics, Applied economics, Business Administration, Science, Engineering, Language and Culture, International Public Policy, Information Science and Technology, Philosophy|
|Life Sciences Library||Medical Science, Health Science, Science in Nursing, Dental Science, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Clinical Pharmaceutical Sciences, Frontier Biosciences, Child Development, Philosophy|
|Science and Engineering Library||Engineering|
|International Studies Library||Language and Culture, Japanese Studies, Philosophy, International Studies|
- Theses of doctoral degrees in Philosophy, Engineering and Language and Culture are kept in different libraries. Please contact the library to inquire about a specific thesis.
- Theses of the former Osaka University of Foreign Studies are kept in the International Studies Library.
[Theses accepted in and after April 2013 without online access to full-text]
Electronic files are contained in the library.
- Theses can be browsed from a dedicated computer located in each library. Please ask for support at the service counter.
- They cannot be printed out or copied.
Contact for Inquires about the Use of Theses
- General opening hours are from 9am to 5pm, Please check detailed information of each library from the following links.
[Main Library] [Life Sciences Library] [Science and Engineering Library] [International Studies Library]
- For depositing a doctoral thesis, please see here.
Use of Undergraduate and Master’s Theses
Undergraduate and master’s theses are not contained in the library except for the followings that are kept at the International Studies Library.
- Master’s theses of the former Osaka University of Foreign Studies.
- Master’s theses of the Studies in Language and Society, Graduate School of Language and Culture.
For more details on the use, please see here.