Osaka University developed the Osaka University Open Access Policy on April 17, 2020 with the aim of disseminating the University’s research outputs and intellectual resources widely, both locally and globally.
This policy stipulates that Osaka University will provide open pubic access to the research outputs of faculty members published in academic journals via Osaka University Knowledge Archive (OUKA) or by other means chosen by the author.
Osaka University Open Access Policy
Approved by the President of Osaka University on April 17, 2020
1. Osaka University (hereinafter referred to as “the University”) aims to be a world-leading research-oriented university that contributes to the development of an enriched society and the resolution of global issues, by creating and deepening a wide variety of knowledge assets gained from world-class basic, fundamental and interdisciplinary research. In order to achieve this goal, the University adopts the following open access policy (hereinafter referred to as “the Policy”) with the aim of disseminating the University’s research outputs and intellectual resources widely, both locally and globally.
(Open access to research outputs)
2. The University provides open public access to the research outputs of faculty members published in academic journals by commercial publishers, academic societies, or university departments (hereinafter referred to as “Research Outputs”), via Osaka University Knowledge Archive (OUKA) operated by the University (hereinafter referred to as “the Repository”), or by other means chosen by the author. The ownership of the copyright of such Research Outputs will not be transferred to the University.
3. Notwithstanding the provisions of the preceding paragraph, the University will not apply, or delay application of, the Policy to the Research Output for which a waiver is requested because of copyright issues or other unavoidable reasons.
4. This Policy will not be applied to the Research Outputs which have been published prior to its implementation or published under a conflicting contract settled prior to its implementation.
(Submission of electronic data and deposition in the Repository)
5. Faculty members who make their Research Output open access via the Repository will submit, after obtaining consent from all co-authors, either the published version or the author’s final manuscript of their Research Outputs depending on the level of permission granted by the publisher, as soon as possible and for free. Deposition, release, subsequent data use, and other matters related to the Repository will be implemented according to the “Management Policy for Osaka University Knowledge Archive”.
6. Any other open access issues not stated in the Policy will be negotiated between the parties concerned.
If you agree to make your research outputs open access via OUKA (Osaka University Knowledge Archive), please apply for open access archiving by using the Repository Deposit System.
Log in the Repository Deposit System
After receiving your application, the library will examine the copyright policy of the relevant publisher/academic society and deposit your research outputs accordingly.
Before applying for open access, please obtain consent from co-authors, if any. There are no rules about how to obtain consent from co-authors, but if necessary, email templates are provided below. Submission of consent letters is not required.
If you have any questions, please contact the Electronic Content Section of the Osaka University Library.
Electronic Content Section, Osaka University Library