- Extra closed of Life Sciences Library (Dec. 17)(2017/11/22)
- Extra closed of Life Sciences Library (Dec. 4)(2016/10/26)
- Service hours of Reference Desk in Life Sciences Library will change.(2013/03/18)
Undergraduate Students and Graduate Students can use Student ID Card.
The other students, Faculty and Staff need to get “Library Card”.
Visitors can enter the library temporarily on condition you use library materials. At the counter, please fill out your name, address and telephone number in the entering procedure form. You need to get “Library Card” in order to check out materials.
About Library Card, please check the following pages.
“Apply for a library card at Life Sciences Library“
Contact about Library Card
You can inquire about or apply Library Card from 9 a.m.- 5 p.m. on weekdays.
Loan Periods and Limits
General Books：all materials except journals and in-library use books
|User Status||Types of Materials||Limits||Loan Periods||Notes|
|Osaka University Members/
|General Books(except journals)||Total 8 vols.||2 Weeks|
|Journals||Total 8 vols.||overnight||You can borrow journals only after 4:30 p.m. You have to return materials by 11:00 a.m. on the next day when library opens.|
|Visitors except Alumni*||General Books(except journals)||Total 4 vols.||2 Weeks|
*Those who are 20 years old or more and are able to come to library directly for checkout/return for the purpose of learning or research can use this service.
Renewing Loan Periods
You can renew General Books only one time at the counter on condition the material hasn’t been reserved by another user.
OU members can also renew items through “Check Status of Loan/Reservation” in Web Service.
*NOTES: Visitors can’t renew Audio Visual Materials.
When the library is closed, return items to the drop box.
You can return items of four libraries and five faculty/research institute libraries to any of those nine libraries.
If an Item Becomes Overdue…
Borrowing privileges will be suspended for the same number of days the item was overdue.
Please return our materials within loan periods.
Two Kinds of E-mails for Notices from Library
Library sends you two kinds of E-mails listed below about returning items. this e-mail was sent by an automated e-mail system.
- notice e-mail for two days before the due-date
- notice e-mail for the item becoming overdue
You can stop “1. notice e-mail for two days before the due-date”service through “Mail Sending setting” of “Check Status of Loan/Reservation” in Web Service
If you have lost/damaged library materials…
You will be required to pay for them. Please contact library staff at the Circulation Desk.
Contact about Checkout/Return
Contact about Copying Service
For the purpose of research, you can make copies of materials only to the extent permitted by copyright law.
If you would like to make one or more copies, please inform a staff member at Circulation Desk after agreeing the copyright rules listed below.
- The number of pages copied must not exceed half of the work
- Theses and other articles published in periodicals can be copied in their entirety as long as the next issue has already been published or three months have passed since the current issue was published.
- Only one copy of something can be made per person. I.e., multiple copies are not permitted.
- Copying is for the purpose of research by the user.
- Regardless of whether compensation is received or not, copies are not to be re-copied or distributed.
|Types of Expense||B&W||Color||Service Hours|
|Weekdays||Saturdays & Sundays|
|OU members||University’s expense||10yen||50yen||9:00 a.m.-8:45 p.m.||10:00 a.m.-4:45 p.m.|
|personal expense (in cash)||20yen||60yen||9:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m.||N/A|
|Non-OU members||35yen||80yen||9:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m.||N/A|
About CO-OP Copying Machine
CO-OP Copying Machine is located next to Circulation Desk(1F). If you have CO-OP Copy Card, you can use this machine.
Before copying, you are required to fill out application form.
- Only OU members can use CO-OP Copying Machine.
- Copying fee is 10yen per a sheet(b&w only).
- Please note that you can’t get a receipt.
Borrowing Materials and Request Document Copies【OU Members Only】
You can make a request for a loan of materials and copies of documents which library doesn’t hold.
- Journals are not available for borrowing :On the other hand, you are able to gain copies of parts of journals. You can reequest document copies only to the extent permitted by copyright law.
- At first, please check if Osaka University holds the material you need and where the material is by searching OPAC. When you need journals, you also need to search E-Journals.
- Feel free to ask staff at Reference Desk.
Contact about Borrowing Materials and Request Document Copies
|9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.(Weekdays)|
1.Internal Materials (Free Service)
You can borrow books which you find a buttonin “Reserve” column of OPAC.
Clicking on the button, you can make a request by logging in with your Osaka University Personal ID. It takes about 1-3 day(s) to arrive to the library you designate.
Please inquire at Reference Desk about materials which you don’t find the button and you can’t find in OPAC.
NOTE: You can’t request borrowing materials held in labratory in Suita Campus. please visit the laboratory directly.
2.External Materials (Charged Service)
You can request books which aren’t owned by Osaka University. Please inquire at the Reference Desk.
In the case of borrowing a book inside Japan, it costs at least 1,200 yen (depending on the weight) and takes about 2-7 days to arrive to our library.
- There may be cases where you can use the materials only in our library.
- you can make copies of the materials only to the extent permitted by copyright law and holding library.
You can request document copies of journal articles or part of book only to the extent permitted by copyright law.
Though We recommend direct applications in Reference Desk, you can apply by E-mail on condition you register on this service at the Desk.
E-Mail Service for Requesting Document Copies
You can also request document copies by E-mail.
This service fee is equal to direct application at the reference desk; But we give priority to direct applications, so we recommend you come to our Desk if you are in hurry.
You are required to register in order to use this service.
- You can apply document copies up to 10 per a day.
（If you apply at the Reference Desk, you have no limitation about the number of request.)
We hold following doctoral theses: Medicine, Health, Nursing, Dentistry, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Clinical Pharmaceutical Sciences, Flontier Biosciences, Academics.
- Available hours: from 9:00 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekdays
- We don’t hold master theses and graduation theses.
- Please check the following page about holding library of other theses and searching theses. Find “Doctoral Theses”
Contact about Doctoral Theses
Reference Staff accepts your various inquiries or references. You can ask us anything about materials or information such as following examples, which is needed in your research and study.
- About literature holdings （reference about whether the material or the literature you need is holded in Osaka University or inquire about which instututions holds that.）
- About searching literature such as how to use databases（from 1 person to several persons）
- About concrete exercises of searching
- About how to get information from reference list / about how to make a reference list
- About how to check how many times the article has been cited / about how to check the impact factor of a journal which the article is posted
- About Copyright Law concerning writing articles
- About scales concerning specific problem
- About Instructions to Authors
Contact about Ask Us/Research Help
|From 9:00 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekdays|
Food and Drink
- About Drink: You can bring drinks only in spill-proof containers such as plastic bottles.
- About Food: You cannot bring any food.
- Please refrain from using a mobile phone in our library.
（Hospital staff can use PHS.）
- Always carry your valuables, and take notice of theft.
- Put the book you use in our library back to the shelf.
- Don’t lend your Student ID Card or Library Card to another person.